Well today is 420, or the celebrated holiday of stoners and potheads everywhere. It’s the day of high expectations to rejoice and indulge in edibles, smoking and vaping and have a little fun.
Alaska, Colorado, Oregon, Washington state and Washington, DC (although in DC, it still isn’t legal to buy) have completely legalized marijuana for recreational and medical use, and their economies are booming. Twenty more states are proudly allowing patients with medicinal needs obtain marijuana.
I titled this post “Questioning Legality” but really for me, there’s not much of a question. It seems like decriminalization and legalization is a forward-thinking trend in America with many initiatives being jointly backed by the Marijuana Policy Project and other independent advocates. Legalization is fiscally and economically advantageous, and decriminaliation is helpful for saving the United States incarceration costs.
- Did you know over 40% of Americans have admitted to trying weed?
- Marijuana has a very low addiction rate, around 9-10%, whereas cigarette tobacco is closer to 30%. Heroin is at 25%.
- CBD, or cannabidiol, is used to relieve pain and suffering of many people with Crohn’s Disease, PTSD, multiple sclerosis, and Dravet’s Syndrome (a debilitating form of epilepsy that afflicts children). CBD is an extracted oil from certain high-producing marijuana strains.
- It’s not recognized as a gateway drug. Rather, many people try it and stop. Or decide to only use marijuana and never venture into other drug realms.
- The University of Mississippi maintains a pot-growing farm on behalf of the U.S. government.
- It is estimated that legalized cannabis would generate $8.7 billion in federal and state tax revenue per year.
- Over 800,000 people are arrested each year for weed possession. What a waste of time for police.
- Presidents George Washington and Abraham Lincoln both grew, harvested, and smoked marijuana.
To read more some brief facts about the states that have legalized weed, look here.
To read a one year status report for the state of Washington, please take a look at this link. Makes me think that all states should legalize.
More info on taxes and regulations for the five states who have fully legalized.
Legalization makes intelligent sense to me. Happy 420.
Yesterday I wrote about Peacocking.
Join me! Please visit my coaching website, Coaching By Nina Rubin.
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/afterdefeat (@afterdefeat)
Photography and graphics by Z Penguin Designs. Thank you!
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/zee_penguin (@zee_penguin)